Writing Tips Shared by Sylvia Day and Reveal Her Favorite Book Ever

Sylvia Day, #1 Best Selling Penguin author of the last five years. She has written twenty award-winning novels. With her latest book, Captivated By You (Crossfire Series Book 4), glamourmagazine.co.uk sat down with the author to get her tips for budding writers, and whether her books will be turned into films.

From the interviews, we know the facts:

  • Sylvia Day favorite book genre: Romance
  • Sylvia Day favorite book when a kid: Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic (by Shel Silverstein)
  • Sylvia Day favorite book ever: The Fifth Favor by Shelby Reed
  • And Having dinner with friends is the best way to relax after writing

Do you have a favourite EVER book?

The Fifth Favor by Shelby Reed.

What are you most proud of in your career?

Creatively, that it's been 11 years so far and I still have so much left to write! Professionally, it's that I've strategized well and seen that pay off.

Have you ever seen fans reading your books - does it feel weird?

Yes, it's a bit awkward, mostly because I don't want to intrude on the reader's experience with the book by being recognized. I try to hurry off before that happens.

Any hints at your next writing project?

My next project is the Blacklist series, which follows a young couple over two books and a span of years-the first time they try to build a relationship and later on, when they try again after failing the first time.

Would you want your books turned into a film?

My Crossfire series is being developed for premium cable television and I think that's a wonderful medium for the story, since there is a large ensemble of characters and a lot of ground to cover.

What's the biggest misconception people have about romance novels?

That they're simple boy-meets-girl stories or that they're anything like the old "bodice-ripper" style of novel, which has been dead for many decades now.

What are the key three things to writing a good romance novel?

Conflict, character arcs, and emotional impact.

Is writing good s*x scenes one of the most difficult forms of writing?

Good s*x scenes are difficult to write, yes. The number one purpose of writing one is to move the character arcs forward. That takes a lot of time and consideration.


Why did you decide to go into this genre?

Because it's my favorite genre to read!

Who would you love to know reads your books?

Henry Cavill

What's the nicest thing a fan has told you?

That my work has positively impacted their life. They've gone back to school, left a bad or abusive relationship, starting nurturing themselves, had a baby… I write books to entertain. When I'm told that something I've written has changed the direction of a reader's life in a profound way, it humbles me.

What do you like to read?

Everything, but my favorite genre is romance.

Where do you write?

I write everywhere. I'm answering these questions on a plane.

What's your writing schedule?

Due to the demands of family and career, I don't have set writing times. I write when I can, wherever I can, daily.

Do you have any music to write by?

I can't write to music, no. It has to be quiet when I'm writing or I can't hear the characters talk to me.

Who would play your main characters in the television show?

For the Crossfire series, I would say Henry Cavill and Scarlet Johansson, but I'm sure whoever the producers choose for the show will be wonderful!

What's the best advice you were ever given?

You don't have to do it all, but what you do accomplish, do it well.

What was your favourite book when you were a kid?

Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic, both by Shel Silverstein.

Do you have a favourite EVER book?

The Fifth Favor by Shelby Reed.

What are you reading right now?

Olivia Gates' latest.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Depends on the book. I've written some in as little as four weeks and others have taken over a year.

Do you have any top tips for aspiring authors?

Don't be in a rush to publish. Discover your style and voice first, learn what your strengths are, your weaknesses. I urge aspiring writers to write three full-length novels before contemplating publication.

What's the best way to relax after writing?

Having dinner with friends.

How do you get inspiration for your books?

Everywhere. Living is a constant source of inspiration.

Do your characters ever do things you weren't expecting?

All the time. I never know where they're going to take me or how a story will end until I get there.

What's the one thing to remember when you're writing a novel?

Take your time, however long the book needs. I've seen a lot of promising careers go into decline because writers succumbed to the pressure to write faster than was comfortable for them or the story. Readers want a good book; it's a writer's job to give it to them.